Friday, March 1, 2013

DOES ANYBODY REALLY KNOW WHAT TIME IT IS?

Does Anybody Really Care?


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBuUUBrC9eQ


Does it really get any better than Chicago? I think not. A little rock, a little classical, a little jazz AND a little philosophy!

"Does anybody really know what time it is, does anybody really care, if so I can't imagine why..."

I can’t imagine why either. Do you know what year this is? It is NOT leap year. You know what that means? No February 29th….I cannot for the life of me understand why we can only get a February 29th every......4 years (unless the year ends in 00’s).   Oh I tried to read up on leap year in the Wiki Tiki Taffy Pedia..but it started talking about the intercalary or bissextile year and Gregorian calendars, lunisolar calendars,  and astronomical and seasonal years…too many big words and too much science for me. But do you know what they call a year without February 29th?? A “common year”…and that’s why I don’t like ‘em.  Who in their right mind would ever want a ‘common year’?

I want every year to be special and who decided we could just ‘add a day’ or ‘subtract a day’?? Who?? You know what this means? NOBODY really knows what time it is. Nobody even really knows what DAY it is and obviously NOBODY cares.

We have been traveling so fast across this great country that even our smarty pants phones can’t keep up with the time….the Eye Pads can’t keep up with the time.  We don’t have a clue what time it is or what day it is…until today…when I realized we lost February 29th.  Just flat out lost it--an entire day…. I  would have probably found a cure for cancer or invented disposable clothes if I had just had that one extra day instead of just another ‘common year’.

I am normally going to bed when my friends and family are getting up to go to work. Not that I didn’t do that before I was on ‘Mountain Time’ but I realize more and more that time is relative. When I call home three hours behind my family and they say…”For the love of Oprah Winfrey and Tom Cruise, why would you be calling us at midnight?” …I say, “Well it is only 9 pm here…get up”!! I know that time really means nothing. It is just according to where you are.  And in just a few weeks the ‘powers that be” will make it even more complicated by changing to ‘daylight savings’ time…like they are going to change how much daylight we have.  It doesn’t matter what your clock or watch says people…there will be the same amount of ‘daylight’ hours and ‘nighttime’ hours. The sun and the moon will do their thang regardless of whether we spring forward or fall back…I promise.

They try to convince me that the whole ‘saving daylight’ was for the farmers…bull malarkey…farmers get up with the sun and go to bed when the moon comes out.. they do not care what time you call it. No…the whole ‘daylight saving’ time thingy was invented for 9-5 people to be able to go home and cut their grass. They could have just changed their schedule and went to work one hour earlier and saved us all the trouble. Nothing makes me madder than changing time to ‘save some daylight’. Just means I have to get up when it is dark so I can have a little more daylight to pretend to be doing something productive. 

And if we REALLY ‘add’ another hour on to daylight every year…why can’t we just add February 29th every year? And how about a December 32nd???  I don’t know about you but I would like two New Year’s Eves too..as a matter of fact I would like three December 25th’s and at least four Thanksgivings. I already celebrate my birthday all month so I don’t see why we can’t do that with every holiday.

The whole point of this rant is …well…I can’t remember the point because I am too excited at the thought of celebrating Halloween for ten days straight. Nothing better than a reason to dress up like the Walking Dead or Marsha Brady…and while we are at it…let’s have National Chocolate day every Wednesday…then it will no longer be burdened with that awful “hump day’ nickname.

Does anybody really know what time it is? No we do not.  So I say it is 5 o’clock everywhere right now…so you are all now officially off work...

Party on… ~Squirrely Girl


No comments:

Post a Comment