Friday, September 28, 2012

Keepin' It Real


WAKE UP..YOU ARE DELUSIONAL!...or

There is something very wrong with you….

Dear Squirrely Girl,

I sent you a message so I guess you only print letters that you like or maybe you didn’t get it but I just wanted you to know that I don’t agree with you on some things but I think that what you say about relationships is always good. I finally left a bad relationship after I read what you said about not staying with the wrong person because you are lonely for the right person. You were right I am FINE. I am actually better than ever. I can’t believe I thought I couldn’t make it.  But because I do like you a little I want to tell you something and I don’t want to hurt your feelings but do you know that all the friends you have on facebook are not actually your friends? It seems like you are talking to us personally, but I don’t really know you so I can’t be your friend. I really don’t want to hurt your feelings cause you seem nice but we are not really friends like my friends I hang out with. But thank you for saying don’t stay with someone just cause you are lonely. You were right.

Signed~
A Friend

Dear A Friend (who is not actually a friend but sure acts like one)

I don’t think anyone has said “You were right” to me since….well..EVER!  With enemies like you …who needs friends?  I can’t tell you how very proud I am of you. You were able to put in simple words the most powerful message:  “I am FINE, I am better than ever!”   There really is a difference in being alone and being lonely. It sounds like a song title but if you ever master not feeling lonely when you are alone..you have transformed yourself into your own best friend. Once you are a good friend to yourself, when you enjoy your own company, you will never be alone again and you will become the bestest  friend EVER to others. You are proof. Only a good friend would tell someone else they are delusional and living in their own fantasy world.

I must admit that I do treat my blog and Facebook friends exactly the same way I treat my ‘real life friends’.  I gripe and complain and whine and tell them how to run their lives. I make them laugh a little, cry a little, rethink their decisions a little and continue to be their friend even when they ignore me or occasionally delete me when they can’t take me anymore. In return, they take care of me, humor me, overlook all my shortcomings and imperfections, tell me when I screw up and disagree with me but love me anyway.  So whether you like it or not “A Friend” …you are now “A Friend”.

And you are right.. I am a little weird and delusional. I have always considered everyone a friend until they prove me wrong. 

Many, many, many, moons ago in a land far far away there was once a world without Facebook or cell phones or any other social media. You had to actually walk up to people and introduce yourself in person and take the chance they would look you up and down and decide you did not have on the right clothes or your hair wasn’t the right length or your skin was not the right color, or you were too fat or too skinny and you would be rejected (or as your generation would say, ‘not friended’). We didn’t have the advantage of not knowing who was ignoring our friend request it was pretty obvious when you were not part of the ‘click’.   But even then, I just pretended they had not snubbed me at all. How could they not like me when they didn’t even know me? So I just kept talking to them and stalking them or whatever it would be called today, until they finally said..”There is something really wrong with you…but we kind of like it.”  And I would say, “Told you so.”

I have been known to walk up to a total stranger and just start a conversation that goes something like this:

 “Hey, do you know Rob?”

They will usually say, ‘Uh…I ..well …yeah..maybe..not sure..Rob  who?”

 “Oh, I thought you might know Rob, he said you might not remember him, I am his cousin twice removed on his Daddy’s side. Ring any bells?”

 “I’m sorry I don’t think so ..but…wait..do you mean Bob? “

“Well, some folks call him Bob, I call him Rob or sometimes Robert and occasionally Bobby, you know how he hates that. “

And then they laugh a little and pretend they know what I am talking about because they don’t want to hurt the ‘imaginary Rob”s feelings and they are pretty sure I will tell him.

So they say,  “Yeah.. it is nice to meet you. Your face does look familiar but I am really not good with names.”

Next thing you know we are talking to each other like we have known each other forever. Eventually they will say, I really have no clue who you are and I say …me either but isn’t this fun?

So it is true, I don’t really have a clue who you are …but I am glad we met. That is sort of how Facebook works. We get to meet people by some really vague and distant relationship with someone else, the only difference is I don’t have to get out of my pj’s, put on make-up, or do my hair. How cool is that??

But just in case we should meet face to face one day, please bring something chocolate and maybe a pomegranate…I love me some pomegranates.

Your newest Friend~
Squirrely Girl

1 comment:

  1. I learned that you CAN totally be friends with people you've never met on Facebook. Not everybody mind you, but some. And I've got a couple that I think if I seen them today for the very first time it wouldn't matter that we had never "met" before! I think we would talk, joke, laugh and even gripe a little. Just like we do on Facebook. And in my heart I would feel like I had "met" a REAL friend for the first time! You don't have to "hang" to be friends. In fact, I never really get to "hang" with anybody that I consider a true friend! We are always sooooo busy! So I would have to say that no, not all your friends on Facebook are really your friends. But it's not because you've never "hung out", it's just because your just not really friends............

    ReplyDelete