Monday, September 24, 2012

UPSIDE DOWN AND ROUND AND ROUND...Or...


 Forgive Us ...We Often Know Not What We Do...


  
Note:  I wrote this in a note on Facebook January 19th of this year but a good friend I met from the Philippines asked me to post to my blog for her to share. If you have already read this…just ignore it and go eat some chocolate instead.


I’ve been thinking a lot about the word “Christian” lately because it has been taking quite a beating.  Between the Westboro “Church” and the Republican Presidential debates where so called “conservative Christians” applaud death on a regular basis; I think the word is getting a pretty bad rap.  The term was once synonymous with love, compassion, and kindness. Lately it makes some people cringe and is more connected with judgment, hate, prejudice and hypocrisy.  Apparently, the t-shirts and arm bands asking, “What Would Jesus Do?” hasn’t made much of an impact over the years. Well, what would Jesus do?

 “At Jesus' first public appearance he said, ‘I have come to set the captives free and to preach good news to the poor.’  Then, through his teaching and life of servanthood, he slowly and methodically turned the values of the powerful Roman Empire upside down. He threw the moneychangers out of the temple because they were exploiting the poor. He said that when we feed the hungry or clothe the naked it's like we're doing it to him. He said to love our enemies, to do good to those who hate us. Jesus changed the rules and ushered in an upside-down Kingdom.” (Lynne Hybels )

That is what He said, I didn’t make it up. It is right there in the bible, the Word, our map of how Christ lived, the true meaning of the word “Christian”.  So it is little wonder that the name is taking some blows.  If you ask most church members what they believe they will say something like, “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in me shall not perish but have everlasting life.”  And that would be correct, for sure. But Jesus went on to say something else, something like this:

 “I love you. I love you so much..so let me make this real simple.  There are a lot of laws and a lot of commandments that would sure make your life a whole lot easier if you obeyed them all, but if you will just remember these two things, you will be okay! First, love God with all your heart, soul and mind. That is really, really important. Second, love everyone around you as much as you love yourself. That’s it. If you do those two things, you don’t have anything to worry about. I am here to show you how to do it.  I am showing you that it is possible to do this because I am here, as a man facing everything you are facing so you can see and then follow my example and know that it is possible. I did not just come to set an example, I died so when you messed up, I got you covered. I paid all your bills off for you in advance because I love you and I know you will make mistakes, I understand that completely, but my Father has mercy and grace overflowing, it is brand new every morning. So what you need to do is stop worrying about all that stuff and get busy loving God and loving your neighbor, ALL your neighbors. Not just the ones you like or the ones that live on your street or in your country but everyone in the world, and yes, I mean your enemies too. As a matter of fact you might want to throw a little extra love their way, because they need it. And when you do, people will see me through you and want to know more about me. That will open many doors and many hearts. If you want to emulate me, if you want people to say ‘Hey, are you related to Jesus, ‘cause you look and act just like Him?’ Then love God and love others. Everything else will work itself out just fine. I promise.” 

Of course, I am paraphrasing there. But that is what I believe the scripture is saying in essence.  I don’t think you have to be Billy Graham or the Pope or graduate from seminary for the bible to speak to your heart personally.  I believe the Holy Spirit does that for everyone. If we truly want people to take Jesus seriously, we can’t say we are like Him if we are not. If we treat our enemies like enemies, if we ignore the poor, the widows, the hungry and treat people with disrespect and judge them, it will not matter how many times we go to church, it won’t matter if we never commit a major sin, it won’t matter how “perfect” our lives look on the outside, nobody is going to buy it. People will forgive mistakes and failures, what they will not do is believe that God loves them and Jesus loved  them enough to die for them if we say we are like Jesus and we don’t love them.  If we have no compassion, patience, charity, mercy or grace, how can we say we have the love of Christ in us? How can we call ourselves “Christian”?   I think Jesus knew exactly how overwhelmed we would all be with just trying to manage life in general, so He taught us a simple lesson to help keep us on the right track. Love God and love everyone else.  Maybe that will turn things upside down again!

Post Note:  We need to be turned upside down, inside out and round and round until we are so dizzy we have to sit down and be still and think about what we are saying and what we are doing in the name Jesus Christ. People are seeking and they are also listening. Please do not take for granted that they have ever been exposed to your church or your Sunday school class…or your parents or grandparents or aunt or uncle or even your country.

Very Humbly Yours

~Squirrely Girl



2 comments:

  1. Don't know how I missed this!! Amen, Sister!! Yer one smart Squirrel and Mama Bess is surely smiling down on you :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank ya Padre! Mama Bess would have loved you!

      Delete